Department for Education: Appropriate Body (AB) reforms
Important information for Norfolk schools.
In November 2022, the DfE published a response to the consultation on Appropriate Body reform and induction assessment.
The following information, taken from a Department for Education briefing pack, has been adapted for Norfolk schools by the partners listed in the ‘key contacts’ section below. It summarises:
- What you need to know about what is changing with AB services; and
- What actions you must take to support the induction of Early Career Teachers (ECTs) going forward.
What you need to know
- Teaching school hubs (TSHs) will become the main provider of AB services from September 2024 (except for specialist ABs for some independent and overseas schools).
- Local Authorities (LAs) will withdraw from their AB role in two stages:
- From September 2023 they will not take on any new ECTs.
- From September 2024 they will cease operating as ABs.
This should allow the majority of ECTs who began induction in September 2022 to complete their induction with their current AB without the need for a transfer.
- From September 2023, all new ECTs need to be registered with a TSH AB.
- Schools will also need to ensure that any ECTs who are registered with an LA AB and who do not complete their induction by September 2024 are then transferred to a TSH AB. The partners listed below will work with schools in such circumstances closer to September 2024 to support such transfers.
- Norfolk LA AB (‘Norfolk Appropriate Body’ (NAB)), Inspiration and the Julian TSHs will work together to minimise mid-induction transfers of ECTs between now and September 2024, while continuing to collaborate to ensure consistency of induction support across the region. In preparation for September 2023, both Inspiration and Julian TSHs will:
- coordinate and encourage schools to use their local TSH for AB.
- scale up their capacity in response to NAB’s phased withdrawal from the AB sector.
Actions you must take
- From September 2023, use a TSH AB for all new ECT registrations. A reminder of the areas that the two Norfolk TSHs cover:
- Inspiration TSH serves Breckland, Great Yarmouth, South Norfolk, and Waveney
- Julian TSH serves Broadland, Kings Lynn and West Norfolk, North Norfolk, and Norwich.
- If currently accessing AB services from a local authority - or via National Teacher Accreditation (NTA) - talk to your AB about how long their services will be available in your local area.
- Keep any ECTs registered with NAB, NTA or other ABs prior to September 2023 with that AB until they complete induction (or until September 2024, whichever is sooner).
- Where relevant, give permission to your current AB to share relevant information with your next AB. For schools currently using NAB, this is already covered through the terms and conditions which you agreed to at the point of registration.
|AB Name||Contact Name||Contact Details|
|Inspiration Teaching School Hub||Carmel Greene|
|The Julian Teaching School Hub||Ben Serruys|
|Norfolk Appropriate Body (Norfolk LA)||Denise Beckett|
Two additional documents can be downloaded below:
- An overview and rationale for the reforms
- An FAQ sheet.